Glitch Post

Tuesday's class consisted of watching video lectures on Glitch Art and Transcoding and then testing it out ourselves. Throughout Nick Briz's clip, I found it interesting that people actually came across this idea to purposely alter the data of digital images by physically corrupting it's code.  I questioned whether people came across this idea on accident or on purpose and what would make someone decide to call it an art form versus a science or technology.
Since taking a web design class last year, it was nearly a difficult task for me to feel content with transcoding an image. The course I took last year touched on basic coding and made me realize the amount of time and effort programmers and designers put into their work. This made it difficult for me to destroy the code and do the complete opposite of what I was taught to do. However, it gave me a great deal of freedom and relaxation to go against the standard. It was interesting to watch the image transform from something ordinary, and into something unique and interesting with each alteration.
One thing that really stuck out to me when working with glitch was that you do not have to know exactly what you are doing. You can pull up an image on nearly any application--including applications that you would not normally think to open an image with. For example, voice memo. Throughout the experiment process, I also realized that every image and product is completely unpredictable and not like any other. There are many variations to this art which makes it so stimulating and fun!

Comments